SmartOS guest "prepare image" scripts
"*-prepare-image" scripts for preparing a guest VM on the SmartOS hypervisor for image creation.
- Create a VM from any base image (called the "proto" VM).
- Login to the VM and customize as desired.
- Optionally snapshot the VM to which to rollback after imaging.
- Prepare the VM for image creation and stop the VM.
- Create the image from the stopped VM
- Optionally restore from the snapshot in step 3 or throw away (destroy) the proto VM.
The "prepare image" scripts for step 4 are found here.
Currently supported guest OSes are:
- CentOS 6
- Ubuntu 12.04
Usage on Linux
Download and run the linux-prepare-image script, e.g. as follows:
wget https://download.joyent.com/pub/prepare-image/linux-prepare-image bash linux-prepare-image
Usage on Windows
Note: Windows is not fully supported yet.
- Download https://download.joyent.com/pub/prepare-image/windows-prepare-image.bat
Note: A separate option for creating SmartOS/SDC virtual images are the SmartOS imagetools which show how to create images from clean sources. This requires building SmartOS and access to a SmartOS global zone (GZ), i.e. it is a heavier process intended more for SmartOS administrators and cloud operators -- and is not an available option in the Joyent Cloud.